Call for Submissions – Miriam Braverman Memorial Prize
The submission period for the 2013 Braverman Award is now open. Submitted papers should be about some aspect of the social responsibilities of librarians, libraries, or librarianship. Papers related to archivists, archives, and archival work are also eligible.
The winning paper will be published in the Summer 2013 issue of Progressive Librarian. The winner of the contest will also receive a $300 stipend to help offset the cost of travel to and from the 2013 American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference in Chicago, IL from June 27- July 2. The award will be presented at the annual PLG dinner at ALA.
Additionally, the following requirements must also be met:
• Contestants must be library and/or information science students attending a graduate-level program in the United States or Canada.
• Entries must be the original, unpublished work of the contestant, and must be written in English. Entries may not exceed 3,000 words and must conform to MLA in-text citation style.
• To facilitate the blind review process, each entry must include a cover sheet providing the contestant’s name, full contact information (address, phone number, e-mail address), name of the institution where the contestant is enrolled, and the title of the paper. No identifying information other than the title should appear on the paper itself.
• Entries must be submitted electronically, in Microsoft Word or RTF format, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. CST on International Workers’ Day or May Day, Wednesday, May 1, 2013.
• The $300 stipend is available only to help defray the cost of ALA conference attendance in 2013; if the winner of the contest is unable to attend, the money will remain in the Braverman Prize endowment fund and may be donated to a progressive cause at the discretion of the selection committee.
Any questions regarding the contest or the selection process can be directed to the chairs of the selection committee, Megan Browndorf at email@example.com or Kelly McElroy at firstname.lastname@example.org.